Hi Homescholar!
We had a busy weekend, and a fun one. I hope you aren't too tired to have a good school week, too. lol.
I noticed you didn't make any comments, so I will assume there were no problems you needed help with. We seem to have figured out the writing course, finally, so I will expect you to do as many assignments from it as you can each day. That means, if there is a quiz or other immediately graded assignment, do it AND the next one. If something needs grading before you can go on, you may stop. The review date is the 3rd of September.
We will try to get ink for the printer so we can print up the math worksheets by the end of this week. Until then, since the problems are so simple, I want you to copy each problem, and then solve it, on your own paper. Give this to me each afternoon before you go do your evening chores. Also, don't forget to maintain your flash cards by adding terms and definitions as you go.
Last week we started our reading program with you reading Adam and His Kin. I am considering that "Historical Fiction." This week I am giving you a book about the history of passenger trains in America. It looks very interesting, and I thought it might tie in with our recent trip. I am adding a weekly biography or autobiography to your weekly requirements. You may choose one of the biographies you checked out off of the bookmobile. All the ones you chose were beneath your reading level, but since they have good information, I allowed it. I would like you to read it aloud to the Three Amigos. It must be read before Friday, as must the train book for you to have your usual weekend privileges (think Beta Testing...)
We also added this week one of the Linwood Thompson videos. My plan is for you to watch it once and to do one per week. The littler ones can watch it a second time later in the week to get the full impact. Please tell your dad about the video at some point and discuss it with him.
I gave you the Science Thinking Skills book. For now, completing two in a week is fine. Tuesday and Thursday might be good days to target doing that. We will add your actual science program in a week or two, and adjust expectations as needed.
You received your planner this morning. I hope you will really stick to filling it out, so we can keep up with all of the good books you are reading and activities you are doing. Please work diligently at maintaining it. What a load off my shoulders that would be if I did not have to stay on you about this. Thank you.
In that planner is the New Testament reading schedule we discussed. Stick to it and cross each off as you get it read, okay?
Also, don't forget to work on your "Weekly Work" throughout the week so it doesn't catch up with you on Friday and you wind up losing privileges and gaining weekend homework.
If you have questions, it is up to you to come and ask me, and/or leave a comment here.
I think that is about it. Yay!
To Recap:
1. Do as many exercises as possible each day for writing.
2. Write problems and answers for math. Maintain definition flashcards.
3. Complete your reading (2 assigned books) by Friday. Read the biography to the kids.
4. Watch Linwood Thompson once a week.
5. DO two lessons for Science Thinking Skills this week.
6. Make sure you are doing your Bible reading and keeping track of it.
7. Maintain your planner.
8. Don't forget to work on your "Weekly Work" assignments gradually...don't leave it all until Friday.
Our year is off to a good start. It takes some work to stay organized at first, but eventually it will become second nature. I am glad we are sticking with it...together!
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment